The Ministry of Health is wanting feedback on their revised Maternity Action Plan, designed to address some serious concerns with the way maternity services are currently being delivered.
This plan includes:
- Longer stays for new mothers in birthing units
- An optional meeting each trimester for at risk mothers, attended by the pregnant woman, their General Practitioner (GP) and their Lead Maternity Carer (LMCs)
- Obstetric training or refreshers for GPs wishing to return to maternity care
- Voluntary bonding scheme for graduate midwives
- Rural midwivery recruitment and retention service
The Maternity Action Plan site has a wealth of background papers and details about how to make a submission.